Sunday, May 2, 2010

Our California Trip

Last weekend we made the trip to California to spend time with my family and be honored at a baby shower hosted by Liz & Brian (sister-in-law and brother), Grandma, and my parents.  I was really looking forward to our time in CA and it did not disappoint!

We made out like bandits at the shower!  We received the most adorable, thoughtfully chosen gifts!  From onesies and receiving blankets, to washcloths and books, to a hand knit baby blanket with booties and a hat, Tray is now well equipped for the first weeks and months of life!  And with all of the gift cards that were so generously bestowed on us, we cannot wait to go shopping for the rest of our baby necessities! 

The theme of the shower was "nesting" and Liz went all out with little edible birds nests, edible eggs, matching stationery, etc.  The entire event took place outside thanks to the lovely weather (80 degrees, sunny, and absolutely no wind).  We felt so loved!  

Returning to WA was a little melancholy.  The weather did not measure up (does it ever?) and the reality that we live so far away from all of our family who love us so dearly was painfully apparent.  I spent all day Monday washing and folding all of Tray's new clothes, etc.  I haven't been really emotional in my pregnancy thus far but Monday was tough for me.  Organizing and putting away all of the little onesies and sleep sacks made me realize just how tiny Tray is going to be and what a huge responsibility we are taking on.  My parents gave us the book When You Were Very Small and I now can't read it without crying! 

I have so much love for this kid in my belly!


Tray's new born and 3 month clothes


Tray's 6-9 month clothes


Tray's receiving blankets and washcloths


Ending on a more light-hearted note:  a close family friend performed an old gender-predicting test for the amusement of our shower guests.  The test was a variation on the popular ring-on-a-string-over-your-belly.  This test was a #2 pencil hung by the eraser from a needle and thread.  The pencil swings over the wrist.  The direction it swings determines the gender.  The verdict?  BOY!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment