Monday, July 26, 2010

Remember how we were going to have a big baby?

At about 33 weeks, we were told that we were going to have a baby in the 95th percentile for weight!  I was pretty upset by this possibility.  I wasn't sure how I was supposed to get a 9+ pound baby out of me.  As it turned out, the ultrasound was WAY wrong ... as we knew it could be.  So, you may be wondering (as was I) how I was measuring big for the majority of my pregnancy and then gave birth to a sub-6 pound baby.  Here's the story.

As you may recall, my OB broke my water on the day before Olive entered the world.  The procedure was uncomfortable but not painful.  The worst part was that it took longer than it should have.  Typically it's a couple minute procedure.  For some reason, Dr. Kimelman had a hard time breaking my water and it took probably a good 5-6 minutes.  They use what looks like a knitting needle with a little hook on the end.  Kinda scary watching that thing go inside!  Anyway, when my water finally broke, I felt the release and the warmth of it running out of my body.  IMMEDIATELY it became very apparent that I was not having a big baby!  In an instant, the size of my stomach decreased significantly.  I probably lost 30-40% of my fundal height.  Everyone was impressed with how much fluid I had.  The belts I was wearing around my stomach to monitor Olive and my contractions had to be resized, there was so much slack. 

Pretty funny how things turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment