Monday, January 18, 2010

Books we're reading

Pretty much the moment we found out I was pregnant, we started investigating pregnancy books. Our OB discouraged us from reading the ultra-popular What to Expect... There's a nurse line at the OB and you can call anytime with questions or concerns. Our OB said that the women who call the nurse line repeatedly freaked out by something they've read are, more often than not, reading What to Expect... So we scratched that one off the list.

We ended up with 2 serious pregnancy books: The Mayo Clinic book and another pregnancy bible titled The Unofficial Guide to Having a Baby. Both are totally sufficient in providing straightforward scientific information about pregnancy, labor, and newborns. The Mayo Clinic book is very well-written and does a great job of providing the latest statistics, which we both appreciate. My only complaint about the Mayo Clinic book is that the index isn't very good. For example, you can't look-up simple words in the terms you'd naturally think of. The Unofficial Guide on the other hand has a wonderful index, which partially makes up for what I'd otherwise consider mediocre writing.

We've also picked up some fun books:

  • The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy -- I'm not loving this book. I especially dislike how much she discourages exercise during pregnancy! She goes as far as to say that it won't help you during labor when, in fact, there have been many scientific studies that prove that exercise can help during labor. I also get a very distinct vibe that she's a man-hater. :)
  • The Pregnancy Countdown -- This is a pocket-sized book full of fun facts and funny anecdotes. It provides the usual information like what's happening to your baby, your body, etc. in a page-a-day format. But it's the random stuff I'm learning that is especially enjoyable. For example, I know it's only a matter of time before I can no longer see my feet. But that should not preclude me from continuing to enjoy a once-a-month pedicure! I just may want to consider toe nail polish in colors I know others will enjoy.
  • Nursery Style -- I LOVE decorating so it's no surprise that I can't wait to decorate the nursery. The styles in this book are a little polished for my taste but the advice about color, choosing furniture, etc. is fabulous.
  • Babies' Rooms: From Zero to Three -- Another great nursery design book, but this one really focuses on how to design a room and choose pieces that will grow with your child.
In another couple of months, we'll have to dive into books about labor (not looking forward to that) and newborns. If you have recommendations for recently published books (last 3 years or so) on those topics, please leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment