Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Obvious

The obvious is that I'm pregnant! Matt and I found out in mid-November and have been stealthily keeping it a secret ever since. Yes, it was planned! :) I'm due in July...on Matt's birthday, actually! No, we aren't going to find out the sex of the baby in advance. My sister-in-law once said not finding out is one of the few real surprises in life and I agree!

I've been feeling like total crap since around week 7. I've always had a weak stomach and was easily car-sick, plane-sick, sea-sick, etc. so it's really no surprise that this too has hit me pretty hard. I feel it every single day, some days worse than others.

I've been working out still, despite the extreme fatigue. It takes a lot of motivation to get to the gym but usually once I'm on the treadmill, I feel great within 10 minutes or so. Actually, my 60 minutes of exercise 3-4 days a week is typically when I feel the best. The only problem is that the soreness I used to enjoy after a nice workout is now extremely uncomfortable. Don't worry, I'm not pushing myself too hard.

A lot of OBs say you shouldn't get your heart rate above 140, but my OB said that given how athletic I've always been, I shouldn't need to make any serious adjustments. However, in preparation for getting huge and under the assumption that most everything is going to be more difficult when I'm further along, Matt and I have signed up for a intro-level yoga series. The series begins on February 1st and runs 12 weeks.

As you can imagine, Matt has been taking very good care of me. He's always been the cook in the family and now he's very focused on feeding me lots of leafy greens, protein-rich foods, and other foods rich in iron and folic acid. It's pretty wild how quickly your taste buds change when you're pregnant! I think about certain foods and want to throw-up a little. Things I used to love to eat aren't sounding very good these days.

Things that I continue to enjoy include: bacon (and all breakfast foods!), orange juice (I have a glass first thing out of the shower every morning), ice cream (salted caramel with a waffle cone), citrus fruits (loving the cuties in the stores right now!), peanut butter smoothies (always), and iced coffee (instead of the usual cafe au lait). I'm limiting my caffeine intake to 12 ounces or less per day. After extensive research and a lot of logical thinking, I'm still having the occasional sip of wine as well.

I hope to update this blog at least once or twice a week so thanks for checking in and please come back!

No comments:

Post a Comment