Sunday, January 17, 2010

Dreams

I read somewhere that pregnant women often experience very vivid dreams. I definitely had some good ones a month or so ago but, of course, now I can't remember! However, very early this morning I had a dream that I haven't yet forgot. I'll preface this by saying I don't think there's any truth to this dream and we were away from home when I had it (in Portland for the weekend) sleeping in an unfamiliar bed. In my dream, I went into a labor and Matt was out of town somewhere. I couldn't get a hold of him or he couldn't make it back in time and I didn't know who to call. Or, rather, I couldn't think of anyone to call that would provide the comfort and coaching that I would need who lived nearby. In the delivery room, the nurses and doctor just kept shaking their heads pitying me saying, "this never happens...delivering your first child...alone!"

I told Matt about the dream on our drive home to Seattle. He asked if I knew who I would call now that I was awake. I said I'd want a woman, preferably one who'd given birth and would be empathetic. All of my family live too far away so I couldn't ask my Mom, Liz, or any of my Aunts. Jess lives too far away (Portland). My friend Monica, besides having a 4 month old, would have to take a ferry to make it to Seattle. The rest of my friends are currently child-free. Then Matt remembered his Aunt April and I immediately knew that's who I'd call. Couple problems: I don't have April's home or cell #s (a good reminder that I need to program them into my phone) and April & Peter are enjoying the semi-retired life now and are rarely in Seattle anymore. Later, I thought of my current and former bosses (all of them amazing women and loving mothers). Yeah, work relations might be a little awkward after something like that but it's definitely something no one would forget!

The moral of the story is that, while I recognize I probably won't need to deliver my first child alone, I don't think I'm going to let Matt wander too far in the weeks leading up to my due date. And, certainly, he can't go anywhere if I end up being late.

No comments:

Post a Comment